- symptoms and the degree of concussion
- severities concussion
- Treatment concussion
- consequences of concussion
concussion is a marked impairment of its functions, which occurs on the background of traumaticeffects on the body and not directly related cerebrovascular diseases.Even in the case of having a disease, cerebral circulation disorders occur against the background of various etiologies injury speak of development can not concussion when the background header humans.Currently, this kind of injury of the nervous system is the most common - for a life of 60-70% of the population in industrialized countries faced with the same injury.
immediate cause of concussion are the headers and the head, sudden movements and injuries that occur on the background of a sharp deceleration or acceleration of the whole organism or its separate parts (head).Concussion can occur even against the relatively small amount of injuries.
symptoms and the degree of concussion
main criteria that allow t
- time loss of consciousness - the longer, the more severe the degree of damage;
- presence of nausea and vomiting;
- detection of retrograde amnesia - short-term memory loss of the events that preceded the injury: the more "dropped out" time interval, the greater the injury.
Accordingly, to judge how severe concussion, it is very difficult in the first minutes after the injury.You can not make a diagnosis without conducting a comprehensive examination of the patient - for the first time after the concussion of a person can not always objectively assess their own condition, and diagnosis can be made only after a medical examination.
criterion that allows the diagnosis "brain concussion" is the absence of pronounced and noticeable changes in the tissues and structures of the brain immediately after injury - the patient has complaints and characteristic manifestations of trauma, revealed the doctor directly during the inspection, but the MRI did notdetects focal and diffuse lesions.In this embodiment, limited damage of microdefects injury of brain tissue, which can be detected at the cellular level.fabric integrity is not broken, but damaged intercellular communication (which explains the appearance of amnesia), and after the injury can occur swelling of tissues and vascular posttraumatic reactions.
must be remembered that not always be detected in the patient's symptoms are typical of concussion - it all depends on the severity of damage and general condition of the human body. That is why to determine the severity of brain injury should be an experienced professional.
main symptoms of concussion are:
- headache - it appears immediately after the injury and may persist for a long time;
- appearance of vegetative reactions - nausea, vomiting, dizziness, uneven pupils;
- change of consciousness - confusion (confusion) or hyperactivity;
- loss of consciousness - can last from a few seconds to a few hours;
- occurrence of seizures - only possible with heavy jolt;
- discomfort and deterioration when exposed to strong stimuli - loud noises, bright lights;
- retrograde amnesia - memory loss in the circumstances of the injury;
- appearance of redness or blanching of the skin, changes in heart rate, blood pressure instability.
Separation concussion on severity rather arbitrary - the main criterion for this becomes the time interval that the victim carries unconscious:
- mild - loss of consciousness is absent or can be extended to 5 minutes, the condition of the victim is assessed as relatively satisfactory;
- average degree - loss of consciousness may last up to 15 minutes after the injury status of the victim is regarded as moderately;
- severe degree - loss of consciousness lasting more than 15 minutes or the patient goes into a coma, his condition could be regarded as serious, and required monitoring of vital functions.
must be remembered that any victim who has had a head injury, should be examined by a doctor - even minor at first glance, injury may develop an intracranial hematoma, which symptoms will progress over time ( "lucid interval"), andsteadily increase.When concussion almost all symptoms disappear under the influence of the treatment - it takes time.to the content ↑
Therapy concussion requires mandatory prescription of bed rest, limiting exposure to irritants from the external environment, the use of drug treatment (if necessary).
Compliance with bed rest helps the injured a speedy recovery - with mild concussion sufficiently implementation of the recommendation of not less than 14 days, with moderate and severe trauma doctor selects the duration of such a regime individually
Limit external stimuli allows the nervous system to relieve the loads and speeds recovery.The patient should be remembered that the prohibition of reading and watching TV, music and computer work - this is not the doctor's reassurance, but a necessity.
Drug therapy in each case is individually concussion - may require the use of diuretics and cardiovascular drugs, multivitamin complexes and adaptogens, sedative and hypnotic drugs.to the content ↑
consequences of concussion
as effects concussion can be considered conditions associated directly with the brain, and the effects of the injury itself (40% of patients with head injury combined injury of the cervical spinal column).Accordingly, in isolated brain concussion requires careful treatment - carried out activities will help to avoid the development of asthenic syndrome, post-traumatic and post-traumatic epilepsy, personality changes.
When concomitant injury must be timely detection of damage and prompt treatment of dislocations and subluxations of the cervical vertebrae, especially occipital-atlantnogo and atlantoaxial joint.