- Causes of epilepsy
- Symptoms of epilepsy Treatment of epilepsy
Under epilepsy, or epilepsy, a chronic disease of the mean field of neurology, expressed in recurrent seizures on the background of the high activity of neurons in the brain.Up to 75% of epilepsy - people under 20 years, especially the children.The disease can pose a threat to human health and life due to sudden seizures that can catch it at any time.
Causes of epilepsy
There are several credible reasons entailing epilepsy:
- avilable brain cell membranes, as well as their chemical characteristics.The fact that in the normal state the brain signals from one cell to another is transmitted via electrical impulses.Periodically there are extra impulses are suppressed antiepileptic structures.When this structure is disturbed, there is excessive electrical excitability of the brain, which at any moment could turn into an attack.
- neyroinfektsy eg arahnoitid - serous inflammation of the meninges;
- Birth injuries, which resulted in the newborn brain is experiencing oxygen starvation;
- If epilepsy began to show after 25 years, it is likely the cause of her appearance became a brain tumor, a stroke and other circulatory disorders;
- Head injuries, such as falls, accidents, child abuse.Doctors say that in these cases, epilepsy can manifest themselves immediately or after a few years.For this reason, epilepsy occurs in approximately 10% of cases;
- 6.Primenenie certain preparations - insecticides, drugs, particularly cocaine, alcohol.People with strong susceptibility to drugs, neuroleptics can cause epilepsy and inhibitors, or a combination thereof;
Idiopathic epilepsy arises without any reason. such cases, the medicine most;despite the modern equipment the real cause of epilepsy is rarely detected.If one parent is sick epilepsy, 5% of the cases the child will also have recurrent seizures.If both parents are sick - the probability rises to 12%.
There are so-called triggers, or irritants that trigger an attack:
- flickering bright light;
- loud sounds, noise;
- sharp, sudden awakening, as well as lack of sleep or excessive sleep;
- certain smells.
Optionally, the patient responds to the triggers, the stimulus may be only one, and all the other factors he suffers quietly.to the content ↑
Symptoms of epilepsy
Symptoms of epilepsy depends on its type:
- In generalized epilepsy, the person loses consciousness and falls to the floor, he appeared convulsions or spasms of the whole body.Perhaps biting tongue, cheeks, drooling, urinary incontinence;
- In absence epilepsy off the main symptom of human consciousness for a few minutes, but no falls and seizures.Sick as it freezes for a few tens of seconds, and then returns to its ordinary course of business;
- In Jacksonian epilepsy patient during an attack begin to decrease muscle localized, for example, on one leg or arm.The man is completely conscious.If left untreated epilepsy that, in the future it can be transformed into a generalized view.
epileptic seizures preceded by the so-called aura - a harbinger of or prelude .It is expressed in the following points:
- feeling of internal organs;
- loss of sensation in certain areas of the body;
- occurrence of similar spontaneous limb movement;
- pronunciation meaningless set of words or nonsense.
Psychiatrists point out that people with epilepsy undergo personality changes following:
- slows thinking and perception of the world;
- appears excessive punctuality, pedantry, prudence;
- person becomes vindictive, selfish, vindictive, and, at the same time, infantile;
- mood often grim, grim, increased survival instinct.
Before starting treatment, the doctor prescribes the patient a series of tests, namely:
- electroencephalography - the process by which it is possible to obtain data on the electrical activity of the brain;
- general, but rather full blood count;
- magnetic resonance imaging of the brain.
to exclude epilepsy, emerged against the background of other diseases, can be carried out other research.An important role in the diagnosis of playing information obtained from the relatives of the patient's behavior during the attack, as the patient does not remember these moments.
First appointed anticonvulsants, designed to get rid of the attacks, namely, phenobarbital, hlorakon, hexamidine.If convulsions local, the prescribed drugs easier steps, for example, suksilep.In extreme cases, may delete a portion of the brain, which is the focus of epilepsy.
Preparations for each case are selected individually. conclusion on whether the treatment is effective, can only be done if the fit is not repeated for 2-3 years.After this time, the physician reduces the dosage gradually, and diet of the patient to adhere to prescribed no salt products nervous system stimulants such as coffee, and also without any alcohol.
forecast in the treatment of epilepsy depends on how promptly the patient seek medical help.It is important after the first attack, start the appropriate treatment.It is worth remembering that it is not only about the treatment of seizures themselves, but also on the patient's psychological state, because the more the disease will be launched, the greater the degradation can be exposed to a person, up to an epileptic dementia.